RCU Forums - View Single Post - longer flight times with aerobird challenger?
Old 08-01-2005, 09:51 AM
critterhunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: longer flight times with aerobird challenger?

There are several ways to increase flight times on a Challenger. For one, try those $20-for-two-packs 7 cell 1100ma "Firebird" packs from batteryspace.com. They are black and are called "firebird" packs. There is a similar pack on there that is smaller in size so don't confuse the two. Those packs ROCK, are of good quality, and for $20 for two plus like $5 shipping you can't beat it. I fly them in my Stryker and Challenger and you'll not only notice much more flying time but these things give you a good bit of extra power than the 7 cell 900ma "pro" packs for the Challenger or Stryker. They even come with the stock battery connector but I converted over to deans ultras. Now, there are even higher MA 7 cell packs out there in like the 1400 to 1800ma range for a "sub A" type cell that the Challenger uses, but these are still a bit pricey. If you do a search in the E-Flight Power sources forum you'll also see a guy using lipos in his Challenger with pictures and part #s. You'll either have to time your flights or put in a voltage cutoff device between that battery and the plane. They run around $15 I believe. Another option would be to buy a P51 Mustange RX/Speed control board and install that in the Challenger. It has a lipo jumper on board and will work find with the Challenger. You could even throw in a bigger motor since the P51 board can handle a larger motor's amp draw. And for speed with a stock Challenger...spend $10 for a Zagi 400 Reverse Timed Pusher Prop motor. Do a water break in and you'll get a kick out of it. I'm using one now and love it.