RCU Forums - View Single Post - AMA National Flying Site and HQ
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2002, 12:56 AM
J_R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMA National Flying Site and HQ

Ed

Man, you sure do drop a bomb when you get into it. LOL

I can only supply SOME facts and offer some opinions. I am not sure that the answers to some of your $$ questions exist.

I don't think the cost questions you ask are directly answerable. Here is what is available. In the year ended 12/31/2001 the hard cost of an AMA membership was $36. The dues was $48. The accounting used for the NATS showed that they made a very small profit. As you know, ED, the accounting system does not take into account any rent.

One of the visions set forth in the by-laws is to foster competition. I believe that is still a worthwhile goal. Just how much to spend is another issue.

I think the misconception among the NRB's is a major problem in any discussion of this type. You use what ever number you like, I use 90% of the membership belong to the AMA for one reason: insurance. In my experience, the huge majority of those believe that some large percentage of their dues goes to insurance and Model Aviation. To them, the administration of the organization and the cost of anything else is transparent. In the year 2001 the numbers run about $7 for insurance and $7.50 for MA (based on 140,000 adult members). If you inform the 'average member' of those numbers they look amazed.

Your analogy of not using FAI rules hit the target. Those that think the watered down AMA rules are the pinnacle on which to be judged have not been exposed the the higher standards of the FAI.

The expenses of the FAI teams has long been a hot topic. Some way has to be found, outside of AMA funding, to more fully support them. The rules would also have to be changed to reflect them. In the case of your event, scale, that presents even larger (pun intended) problems.

It's my opinion that the FAI championships must be looked at as the Olympics are. It's good for the competitors and good for the country. How competitive we are is a matter of pride, not one of national importance. In some venue's we consistently do quite well, in others ... well, we participate.

This is just my opinion, but, I think that most NRB's would not mind if $2-3 dollars of their dues goes to competition. It is when they start to feel that they are subsidizing 'empire building' that they come unglued. By the same token, I think that if you take away the women's tees from the AMA national competitor's and install FAI rules, a lot of them will come unglued. Each segment has it's own agenda.

Being an expert at bumper pool does not translate to being an expert at 9 ball. Conversely, the great 9 ball player is going to be a pretty good bumper pool player.

Now throw in the specter of dues increases, due to increasing insurance, and a dropping membership, because of a dues increase, and you have a real mess.

JR