RCU Forums - View Single Post - Shipping large models
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2005, 03:21 PM
desilejf
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shipping large models

WOW, I want to stay within the limits of the RCU guidelines but I am fairly unhappy with one of the shippers we use regularly. Forward Air Inc has destroyed the last to crates I have had dealings with. I shipped a large P 38 to Boston, it ended up in Charleston, then Forward Air had a really difficult time getting it to Boston I think it took 16 days[:@]. When the consignee arrived the crate was destroyed to the point he removed the P 38 and returned home to recrate my SBD and sent it Greyhound. Greyhound was all customer service and smiles.
Yesterday a ventured forth to Forward Airs Portland OR terminal to pick up a bird and from 50 ft I knew I was in big trouble. Destroyed the crate, 3/8 ply and 2 x 4's it was the toughest box I have ever dealt with, destroyed the 96 inch Dragon Rapide inside too. Wings shattered to the nacelles, tail torn completely off and hanging on its pull pull wires. I had a pro builder look it over at lunch and quote me $5000. to repair this bird that was READY to Cover after 10 yrs of building.
The Rapide was insured and I will most certainly keep RCU posted on the outcome of recovering the insurance money which was way short of the repair estimate. I will admit the repair bid was high but a quality builder to take the bird back to coverable is the only option I am willing to take.
I have shipped with Forward Air trouble free but the last to deals were outrageous.
This Rapide was flown and had a minor accident and the builder completly went through the airframe to ZERO SMOH, flawless down to hand tied ribstitch. Forward Air provided me with a disc of their work and if I am not compensated at least to the level I paid for I will post all the Before, yes folks we were very carefull to get about 30 photos on the bench and as the crate was packed. Now this crate had already made 4 moves and was never damaged, what did it take to tear it completley aprt from the base, alot of work on someone part is our combined guess.
Beware, insure, photgraph things , keep every email between buyer and seller. I have two complete sets of emails and dispatched one to the CEO of Forward Air and that got me a Rapide in alot of pieces. Not to mention they tried to get me to sign off site unseen??????? on the item.