RCU Forums - View Single Post - Tutorial for creating airfoils for AFPD
Old 08-17-2005, 11:21 AM
TWRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tutorial for creating airfoils for AFPD

Thanks’ Greg for your compliments. Sorry I’m so slow to respond

Lego,
I don’t know for sure exactly how Aerofly determines the flight characteristics
from one aerofoil to another. But I’m willing to bet it performs a polar analysis
based on the airfoil’s coordinates, much like several programs I’ve worked with. You say “ The flight behavior is equal to that profil you started off with”??????????? I have Performed several experiments such as starting with a custom flat bottom airfoil with a thickness of 18% and the CL@25% and ending with a symmetrical 8% thickness and the CL@ 30% and the differences were just like you would expect in true life. “Night and Day” The airfoils performed as expected. This is evident in my custom sailplane airfoils as well as some of my 3D airfoils. I have created a couple plank style flying wings in AFPD that are not even flyable if my reflexed airfoils are not used.
flight behavior is SOOOOOOOO affected. A funny thing that happened to me,
doing what Ian.W did and experimented with some very thin and clean pylon airfoils was able to unexpectedly crash aerofly after aerofly couldn’t deal with something. I assume maybe the 388mph had something to do with it
The same model with the Naca 0009 could only achieve 268mph.

AeroflyPro Deluxe ROCKS Bigtime. I love this program. The possibilities seem to be endless[8D] Dynamic water would be my next vote!

Pat