RCU Forums - View Single Post - F6F Hellcat ARF (China Model Productions)
Old 10-27-2002, 09:41 AM
Glitch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F6F Hellcat ARF (China Model Productions)

Hi Graham,
Sorry, just got your E this arvo. (Re the CM Pro FW-190.)
As I mentioned, I had to widen out the slot where the fixed gear 'block' normally fits. My Robart retracts are 25 mm across the operating section inserted into the wing. I had to make up new legs that extend 188 mm from the edge of the pivot block to the axle bend. I wasn't too keen on the supplied wheels so used some nice 88 mm diameter ones, dunno who make them, but they are bolted together rims (6 phillips headed screws) with snap in covers and the rubber is embossed 'Goodyear all weather'. Due to the thickness of these, I had to Dremel out the base of the wheel wells to accept the wheel and have the gear door flush with the wing. Because of this I couldn't have had them 'twisted' a little as they would have then partly protuded under the wing when retracted. Yes, when down they did not extend forward of the wing but with the Saito 170 radial and a 4400 m.a. nicad up front for the onboard glo, the C of G was spot on. There was no tendency for the model to nose over on take-off or landing and we fly from a smooth grass strip.
The model flew really well with the Saito seeming the ideal engine. On the 3rd flight I was pretty upset when the Eclipse 7 simply lost control on all channels on a widish downwind leg in the circuit. The post mortem revealed the transmitter was way down on output. When the Saito is repaired I'll certainly try another FW. Good luck with yours.
Regards,
Bill