RCU Forums - View Single Post - PPM, PCM ?
Thread: PPM, PCM ?
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2005, 06:49 AM
GrayUK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: PPM, PCM ?

The point is you will never know why it locked out, it could have been battery, or xtal failure or any number of other reasons that were not interference.

So we need to put this into perspective.
Most interference is transient, even sun spot activity, local hospitals, electric cables etc.. can cause problems.

Transient interference is the 'glitch' you see when flying, could be anything, could even be skip from another country.
I can remember sitting at my local field one hot summers day listening on the monitor to Italian taxi's!

So, transient interference is what your RX has to deal with most of the time. In this situation the PCM wins, it just ignores it, you do't see it and the 200mph model does not get a sudden 'glitch' sending it who knows where, or worst still, due to loads, having a structural failure

Bear in mind that the frame rate on most systems is about 50 hz (50 per second), so 50 updates to the Rx every second.
My PCM needs 1 complete second of no good signal to activate failsafe. This means you can lose 49 frames of data and still have control, even if response is sluggish.

When 1 second is reached the failsafe mode engages, in my case, shut throttle and hold all other settings.
The RX is still looking for a 'good frame' and on my system the return of control is almost instant.

So, in a transient interference condition (99% of all interference) the PCM RX will do its job.
What happens on total signal loss?
Neither system will help [&o]

PPM will send this energy full projectile hurtling in all directions as the RX tries to make sense of the interference and pass it on to the servo's.
The PCM will (in my case) shut the throttle, hold the settings and the model will continue on that line until signal is restored or the ground comes up and hits it.

So, both are terminal, but in the PCM case you have a projectile on a set course which makes the chances of getting out of its way higher.

I have had lock outs, over the years, it is frustrating, but even with that i would NEVER fly a jet on PPM.

Try a little experiment on the ground.
Get 2 sets of gear in 2 models.
Put them both on the same frequency, 1 on PCM 1 on PPM.

Switch on the PPM Model and TX, with it working now switch on the PCM TX. All hell breaks loose, controls go every where.

Now switch every thing off and put the PCM set on, once running switch on the PPM TX.

You will still have control, as i said before the response may be sluggish, but you will have control.

Move the PPM TX closer to the PCM RX and slowly you will lose control, the RX will start 'framing' as it loses more and more good frames.

Closer still and it will go to failsafe.
Step back and immediately you have control.

If that does not convince you...nothing will [X(]

I have demonstrated this many times to 'doubters' who usually go out and by a PCM set after wards.

At the end of the day you fly what you are happy with, i love PCM, never had an issue with it, had far more crashes due to interference before i used it than i have since.
I will stay with it....until something better comes along....

Stig
Yes we have had this conversation before