RCU Forums - View Single Post - Skymaster Gripen with scale features
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2005, 06:57 PM
Speedbird66

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Skymaster Gripen with scale features

Hi Gudmund, good to hear from you.
The rotation and take off for the Gripen models has been said to be very abrupt. The cure for this has mostly been to extend the nose leg to increase the lift of the main wing. (The Euro fighter looks like this). However, the original Gripen stays pretty much in level all the way down the runway until rotation. The answer to this (I belive) is the correct usage of the canard. I will use dual rates for the canard and apply a fair amount of up elevator and canard lift from the very beginning at take off. The original uses a canard throw compared to at least 25 mm on the model at rotation. Once air borne I plan to reduce the canard rate to +/- 5 or 10 mm and keep it that way for landing. Too much canard movement may cause the model to stall the nose at slow speed as some have reported. Some people have also reported that the gripen lands nice and smoth with a high nose attitude without even using the canards.

Anyway - I will find out sooner or later if I'm wrong . .

Rob, thanks for your info. That was really what I wanted to hear cause I really want to fly it fully dressed.
I will use my Behotec JB130 of similar thrust as yours (135N). The original 2,2 litre will have to be 3,0 for a resonable flight time.
The colour of the Gripen is difficult because the paint it self is affected by the sun and weather. Apparently when a Gripen is in for a repair and a panel needs to be repainted a colour sample is taken and the the paint is i toned accordingly! The colour of mine is made slightly lighter than the full size original because colours looks darker on smaller surfaces . . .
I just realised you are my wing man with no 49 - mine is no 50 !
:-)