RCU Forums - View Single Post - E-FLIGHT BLADE CP
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2005, 05:59 PM
DarkWombat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: E-FLIGHT BLADE CP

Flaxen: Nice work! But yea, apparently the problem was already found. Good job finding it out yourself though

I tried doing rolls this morning after some more forward flight, pirouetting, and circular hovers with the nose pointed towards the center. So I got plenty of altitude and planned it out. I punched the forward collective and got the heli moving pretty well, then I eased back on the stick and then gave it full right aileron. The heli, as expected, started to roll. However, when it got upside down, the nose started to drop. I gave negative pitch, tried moving the stick around to get control (this was my first experience inverted, I had an idea of what to do but it took me too long to think). The heli pointed straight downwards and had a REALLY nasty dive. As a reflex action, I moved the throttle stick down, however I forgot to get out of Idle Up mode (D'OH!) and the heli slammed into Mother Earth. I broke a skid, the center paddle control frame, bent the flybar, bent my main shaft by about 30° (ouch!), tore up my canopy (that makes 3), my rotor blades got a little scarred around the blade grips (but they're still doing fine) and the rear canopy mounting bar came off. Remarkably, none of the electronics got loose, the swashplate was working fine as was the radio input. The LiPo was unharmed, which is very thankful.

But as for me, there's no way I'm going to try any stunts that involve being even momentarily inverted until I get a simulator. I'm not going to risk further damage, and unfortunately the only way I think you can learn how to fly inverted is by practice, practice, practice, and that means you will inherently crash a LOT. Crashing inverted is not nice. Crashing upright is a cakewalk by comparison. Crashing on a simulator is free.

Tower Hobbies has RealFlight G3 (apparently one of the best out there) for $200, and the software comes with a transmitter that plugs into your computer, as well as cables that allow you to use your own aftermarket transmitter if you wish (but you won't be able to use the Eflite one) or even have two people fly on the computer at the same time. They're offering it both paid out in full as well as a system that allows you to pay $66 a month over three months, which is probably what I will do.

So just a word of warning: as much as you think you're ready for trying some stunt that involves being inverted, I seriously beg you NOT to do it until you get practice in a simulator. FMS Simulator, although free, isn't very good for helis. You're going to have to spend good money on a good simulator if you want to get the most out of it.

Now that my Blade is giong to suffer some major downtime, I might as well try going back to the 9T motor. Since the gearing is higher, it will give more power and performance, but it will be less efficient so flight times will get shorter. Hopefully I won't have to change all my radio settings....

Wombat out.