RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Flite Contender
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2005, 07:32 PM
sledge_78
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite Contender

Tomcat,

I built my Contender with the upswept wing tips. Protection against tip stall I'm told. I also used the Flap option. I think the Contender is the best plane to fly. Landings can be almost eyes cloed. I have tried the Flap once and we nearly did a loop. So I have not expeimented since. Here's a few things I learned. 1. Use blind nuts for the nose wheel mount. You need to place them before you cement the bottom cowl. This will prevent ripping the wood scews out and having large hole where the screws used to be. The fuel tank pictured on the plans is not the same as the one they specified in the instructions. I used the one pictured on the plans since it fit exactly as shown. The one in the instructions will take work to fit. I used an OS .50 sx and it is more than enough power. It fit in easy without paper thin cowls. I had to move the battery pack under the fuel tank to balance. Your .61 may let you place the pack behind the cockpit as spec'd. Some advice on the covering. I used 1/32 planking on the fuselage bottom and top behind the cockpit. It made for a very nice finish with the monocote and gives a very nice shape to the fuselage that the monocote cant do alone. With the thick airfoil the plane slows down and will land slowly without stall ot tip stall. It is the greatest. You will enjoy. Mine wweighed about 6.5 - 7.00lbs.

Sledge_78