RCU Forums - View Single Post - Who is converting Toro trimmers?
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2005, 09:54 PM
Scott Ellingson
My Feedback: (146)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Who is converting Toro trimmers?

I understand the wider blade prop will make a difference. The reeds are a big problem I think. Toro only used them for a year I believe. Then they went back to a single bbl carb. The reeds do make it nice for us because it allows us to open the boost ports up easier. I still have not converted a single bbl model but will this weekend. I think they will do as well or better. I do need to modefy the deck of the case to allow all the airflow possable from the 4 piston ports. They look like they are partially blocked stock. They are not overly large anyway so I want them to flow as well as possable.
If the 2bbl model is modified to use a single bbl walbro carb you can get close to 8900 out of them on an APC 16x8 prop. the most I have goten so far is 8650. But the engine that did it is not broke in yet. A good 4 - 5 gallons will be needed to do that on this engine i think. I just use alumiweld to fill in the reed valve covers and then remove the reed valve. I then put the screw that held them back in from the outside to plug that hole. You could make covers for them but i found it to be very tedious. Not bad if you are only doing a couple engines but a pain for a bunch of them. I can't wait to see what I can get out of the 2bbl model. The intake will require no work at all. The exahust will get my usual treatment. I also may cut away the aluminum between the 2 piston ports on each side up about 1/4 inch to allow better flow. The weird thing about these engines is the ports on the 2bb, even modified, are much smaller than a homelite or poulan. But the engine puts out a ton more power than either. Hard to figure. Two rings must make a huge difference.

Oh, I also have hand started mine many times. Even cold. As long as you don't flood them they always start fairly easy. Even a BME 50 with electronic ignition starts hard from cold by hand. 10-15 flipps most of the time. The Toro does better than that for me most of the time.