RCU Forums - View Single Post - inevitable happed
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2005, 05:02 PM
RysiuM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: inevitable happed

ORIGINAL: Jetjockey_3

I had the very same thing happen to me, TWICE!!!

My Edge tipped stalled on final a couple of years ago. I was having trouble with my engine idling too high when I tried to land and was attempting to bring her in as slow as possible. As soon as I turned to final it snapped straight down ( I was going to side slip her in).
Believe me or not, we managed to tip stall even SIG KADAT LT 40 . All you need is: slow speed, up elevator and when wing drops try to correct it with ailerons. Tip stall guaranteed.

What happens when the wing stalls and drops on very slow speed lowering that aileron just makes things worse. The wing profile changes causing more drag and less lift. The only recovery (we tested it) is to use rudder only. Yaw makes the stalling wing to move just a bit faster and recover (stalling the other wing) to level. On bank turn the lower wing is moving slower than uppoer wing so it stalls first, and you can not rise it with ailerons because as I descrivbd above, it just makes things worse.

When you have a snappy plane the worse position is flying slow, nose down knife edge. The only recovery I found so far is to add power and opposite rudder trying to fly it out with knife edge. Aileron or elevator will make that thing just snap and snap.

Fo the landing approach the last turn should be way above the stall speed so you don't take sharp turn at low speed and high angle of attack. Blend the speed when wings are leveled - when the recovery from the tip stall is the easiest (with the rudder). Every new plane I try flying a harier to see how much I can push the limit on the angle of attack and how the plane behaves on stall. This knowledge halps a lot on the first landing.

PLH actually does harier quite well as long as you keep her level. She rocks the wing a little but that doesn't even need any correction. I just don't allow them to drop more than 30 degrees. This characteristic really makes easy landings: on final approach with the speed a little over stall with low angle of attack (descenting rate controlled by the throttle, not the elevator). I aim to be about 2 ft above the ground at the treshold. Than I level out (small flare - not to much otherwise she will baloon), lower the throttle and let her stall at half ft or less above the runway. I tested stock LG and it can easy take 2 ft drop (yes I stalled her once at 2 ft) without braking anything.

Happy flying

RysiuM