RCU Forums - View Single Post - request advise on gas engines and aircraft
Old 09-10-2005, 05:46 AM
airlyons

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: request advise on gas engines and aircraft

Hi there Gerald...

I've been flying RC for two years now. The most advanced aircraft I've flown was a 60-90 size Cap 232(Breitling). I had a GMS 76 on it. I achieved at least 30 or 40 flights on it until I had a power loss to the receiver which resulted in a complete loss. I liked the Cap but believe its high wing loading contributed to a high approach speed, high stall speed, and poor glide ratio. (It had the glide ratio of a brick!) Right now I have a Sukhoi SU-31(Pheonix Models) with an OS 46FX and a RCAF Chipmunk (Airsail kit) with an OS 70FL. (60+ successful flights on the Sukhoi, 15+ successful flights on the Chipmunk) As an enjoyable scale fly I quite like the Chipmunk. But for full out aerobatics, sport, and 3D the Sukhoi is no longer challenging me. It does awesome snap rolls, spins etc but lacks the power to do precision aerobatics and won't hover. For example, when doing a loop it won't do a nice big circle loop...you have to pull it in tight on the way up to continue the loop.

As for the snapping issue... my Cap 232 liked to snap quickly when in the slow flight regime. Don't some airplanes snap a little slower (ie they wallow back and forth, but it's controllable) as you enter slow flight. I watch guys come in really slow...power just above and the airplanes aren't snapping (violently anyways-they're controllable). Umm I think one at the club is a UCANU3D.

And to answer BillS...

I don't just have one engine. (OS: 46LA, 46FX, 70FL (4 stroke), GMS 76-it didn't survive though!) But I would like to buy an engine that will be suitable for a large number of aircraft so I can have more selection and so that, should I get tired of flying one aircraft type, I can simply buy another airframe and bolt on the same engine!

rcdude7... thanks for your reply! I'm more into the "scale look" airplanes though.

3dbob37n... thanks as well. I do like the look of the Funtana 90. You have me thinking here! But will the Evo 26 be too heavy? .9 cubic ince = 14.7 cubic centimeters so a 26 cc would be a lot...but then again for here in Calgary you need lots of power combined with not too much weight. Hmmmmm you definitely have me thinking!

So should I go for a 25 CC gas engine then? Could I use it in most 90 size airplanes or would that engine be better on a 120 size? And would a 90 size airplane still be flyable for precision aerobatics, 3D, and maybe even smoke if I wanted to add smoke????? Remember...I'm at 4000 feet above sea level!!!!

Chris