RCU Forums - View Single Post - The future of Cox engines??
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2005, 11:47 AM
subarubrat
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: The future of Cox engines??

They did use those engines in a DYNASTY that ran from the mid 70's through the mid 80's. I remember going into stores and seeing a while isle of Cox stuff, everything from the VAN and shrike to the heli and Stuka CL planes. The Sears catalog was filled with some great ARFs using the QRC. Sure they were made by Kyosho but they were Cox products. I don't know the sales figures on those products, I would love to see them. Did the market just taper off and people stop buying them, or did Cox discontinue a profitable and solid product line in the hopes of becoming something else? Companies make some pretty stupid decisions for very bad reasons. When Jack Tramiel (founder of the Commodore 64 success) took over Atari they were approached by Nintendo to sell their NES as an Atari product because they thougth they could never compete against the Atari name. Jack waited 6 months to say NO of all things. Then when presented with the 7800 which is arguably a much more advanced system than the NES he threw it off his desk screaming that Atari is a computer company and not a game company. The finished the 7800 sat in the Elpaso warehouse for two years before they decided they needed the revenue and that they would ship it. By then NES had already buried them. Sometimes bad decisions can ruin a company that had no real reason to fail.

Anyone have Cox sales figures from that time period that they can post, broken down by product?