RCU Forums - View Single Post - Trim F-86
Thread: Trim F-86
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2002, 03:31 AM
garrett_mcdonal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trim F-86

Hi Ed,

The new one has been sitting finished for some time. I just haven't got around to flying it yet. I'll make an effort to get out one morning next week and finally doing the deed.

The mods I would make are:

1. Lay up and extra layer of 6oz glass in the nose section to about hald way up the fuse sides. This will help it hold shape better it you go for sequencing doors.

2. Same as above for belly pan before cutting main doors free. I didn't and it was a real pain to them laminate them to hold the correct shape. I got there in the end, but it was a pain that I could have avoided.

3. The one fault with the wings, imho, is that the wing spars end abruptly at the end of the retract plate and there are no flex plates. In hard landings, the top wing skins are prone to splitting. Not that hard to fix, but you could avoid it at the building stage by either cutting some new spars that extend further out or, as many do, laminating the top wing skin with some heavy glass cloth out to mid-way between the end of the spars and the servo bays.

4. About the only other thing I would consider is moving the elevator servo down into the tail. No actualy need to do this, but there is plenty of room to do it and the plane balances very easily, so you would only have to move the battery pack forward to get the cg on the sport.

Apart from that, it's a good kit and a nice flyer.

Regards,
Garrett