RCU Forums - View Single Post - My beginner's plane - the Air Scout
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2005, 09:04 PM
shd3920

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My beginner's plane - the Air Scout

bruce, most if not all my flying (whenever that may come) will be performed in grass. Just so happens I have this Magnum XL .25 sitting around in the cellar collecting dust (a bit of rust on the spark plug is about all that seems to be wrong with it) but don't you think that is a bit much for such a small airplane? It is afterall only 54". If you think it is safe to run something that big in it I will take your advice (will save me around $70 after all). Thing is I bought a Hayes .19 mount already for the kit and what will I do with that?

EDIT: If I put a powerful engine in like that won't I need to modify a break-away plate for it? Originally the kit does not call for one, just the engine to be placed on an engine mount itself. I already have the firewall drilled out for the Hayes motor mount, and I have already added a plywood divider in the fueltank area to keep it away from the battery so I can not get in there to redo the engine mount to a bigger size. With a heavier engine won't I need the extra protection or can I just put it on heavy plywood bearers alone? If I need to do a break-away plate how do I go about doing it with nothing drawn up on the plans - like what angle should it be and such? Most kits need it done up at 2% thrust and how do I put that in to the modification?