RCU Forums - View Single Post - Changing frequency
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2005, 09:36 AM
carrellh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Changing frequency

ORIGINAL: deli_conker
Just so everyone knows, it's obvious that you just pull out the crystal and replace it. I was wondering if that was all that had to be done. I had heard somewhere that you're not allowed to change out the Tx crystal because the Tx then needs to be tuned to the new frequency.
Regardless of whether it's "legal" for you to change the crystal or not, all of the manufacturers do state that the tuning needs to be checked and possibly adjusted. Does it really need to be done? I have no idea. I'm not willing to take a chance on losing my plane or causing someone else a problem.

Most manufacturers 'protect' their service centers by making it very difficult for the average person to get the info they need to work on their equipment. Sony and RCA do not make service manuals readily available; they want you to pay them. RC transmitter makers and distributors are the same way. If they publish the testing procedures they lose revenue.

Is money the only motivation? Who knows?

It really doesn't matter what Futaba, FCC, AMA, or anyone else thinks; you're either going to change the crystal or you're not.