RCU Forums - View Single Post - Changing frequency
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2005, 06:44 AM
deli_conker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Changing frequency

Still no word back from the FCC. So I did some research on spectrum analyzers though. I think I'd rather buy a couple of new cars than buy one of those so I can legally change out my crystal.

The reason I wanted to change crystals is because the closest flying field (which I don't fly at) tells people that they don't fly on channels 20 and 21 because of broadcast TV interference. Well guess what? My radio is on channel 20. I don't fly at the field because I fly parkflyers and don't need the space they have or the dues/fees etc. that they charge to do so. I don't need a range of more than 2500 feet either. But that doesn't mean that I want my $150 Cessna to go down because of a tv broadcast either. By the way, I found all of this out after buying the radio.

I fly at a couple parks. The closest one is around 5 miles away from the flying field, the other is around 15 miles away. I am assuming that the TV broadcast is going to hit my radio at either place so I wanted to get a channel change. I went to my LHS and bought the crystals necessary to put it on channel 25. That's when I started reading the manual that came with my radio and found out all the rules etc. I took the crystals back yesterday and asked the LHS guy about the whole thing. He chuckled, but took the crystals back anyways.

Is the broadcast really going to have an effect on my radio gear like I think it might?
Is the park that's farther away going to be safe(r) to fly at on this channel?