RCU Forums - View Single Post - Installing Retracts
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2005, 01:07 PM
Robinaire
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Installing Retracts

Just finished lunch, & decided to look at email. The tie-in provided by the mechanics far exceeds the strength of the full sized spar. BUT--what it attaches to is most important! carrying maple motor bearer type mounts to the spar and properly gusseting it will provide great strength. I'm looking at the busted wing mockup I've used for fitting purposes, and the mounting surface, on the outboard side, is 1/2" down at a point 1-1/4" from the leading edge doubler. At the spar end, it is 3/8" down. On the inboard side, the bearer is closer to the wing surface enough to get the leg pointed vertical to the "ground". My notch is rounded at the bottom, where the minimum spar depth is 1/2" from the top skin. Although I didn't bother for the mockup purposes, you can also set 3/8 x 1/2" hardwood bearers on edge in a 3/8" notch cut into the spar, down approx 7/8" and epoxy well. Ties in nicely to the inboard spar. That's my 1.2 cents worth! Kay is coming along slowly on the eye bit. We go back for checkup in 3 weeks. She has seen some small, tantalizing improvement! Lee Oh yes, I'll be shipping some gear tomorrow and Tuesday. Lee