RCU Forums - View Single Post - VQ P-61 CONTRUCTION
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2005, 06:25 PM
Build-n-flyer-RCU
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: VQ P-61 CONTRUCTION

Well we didn't get to maiden my P-61 today. The airplane was ready but the weather wasn't- it was very gusty and after watching the IMAC guys really struggle with landings we decided it wasn't worth taking the chance on the maiden flight of a high-$$ airplane.

But I did get to show it off to everyone which was very satisfying after the months of work. We synch'd the engines, and before packing everything up (it had calmed down a bit by then) we ran the plane up and down the runway a few times- and actually got it just off the ground once or twice for a short distance.

The new plan is to try to fly it this Wednesday afternoon after work.

The un-muffled YS 110 engines are going to be awesome on the P-61!!! With the two-blade props we found they have enough power to get it off the ground from our grass runway using less than 1/2 throttle. And the sound is incredible... its easy to imagine the two big radials thumping... the airplane looks and sounds just plain mean!

Everyone agreed that the 4-blade props will probably be a lot more appropriate, and may actually make the plane easier to fly. With the two-blade props the torque is just incredible and you really have to baby the throttle to hold the plane straight down the runway. So I'm going to order a replacement four-blade prop tonight.

Kram, I know I am supposed to have the "pleasure" of maidening my own airplanes. I generally do, and I also have no problem maidening other folks' trainers and 40-60 size sport planes. But I've only been flying R/C for a few years now, and the closest airplane I've flown and landed to compare with this bird is my 150 size H9 P-51. Or maybe the Twin-Air?

Pic- I have the easy job while synching the engines, I have two beginners hard at work holding the plane back.

Walt
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13510.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	329094