RCU Forums - View Single Post - Changing frequency
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2005, 09:11 PM
smokingcrater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Changing frequency

My brother is into ham radio, so I'm going to give him a call about it just to hear his viewpoint on frequency, tuning, etc. He may actually have the stuff necessary to make the "legal" changes.
lots of rc'ers are into ham also, including myself. (and lots of the people posting on the frequency threads are also obviously) Being a ham, my personal preference is to take what the fcc says and not try to find every little loophole. Imagine the situation where eventually it is conclusively proven that a swapped crystal caused a crash with loss of life. it would be seconds before the fcc required manufacturers to solder that crystal inside. (or maybe radio manufacturers would quit using 1950's era technology!

spread spectrum systems exist for ground vehicles, just haven't made it to air use yet) Worse yet, the fcc could come down heavy handed and take away the 72/75 bands, forcing manufacturers to move up to unregulated 2.4 or 900mhz. Your existing crystal based equipment would be worthless and illegal to operate. (has happened before, and probably has come very close a couple of times)

kc0lmo