RCU Forums - View Single Post - Reynald's number
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2003, 01:41 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Reynald's number

Chee- I did say Reynold's Law!
You got one right!
Yes- I can fly without knowing any law -but it took a while to come up with the answers I needed.
The most important being, most of the stuff I learned in textbooks about flight and what was necessary - was directed to and developed by those who were writing to themselves.
The classic " what makes a wing lift?
the answer typically dwelt on th classic Clark Y airfoil.
Replete with the old laws about (laws?) about low pressure above th wing. blah blah blah.
The more I tested the book - the more contradictions I found -
I felt like I had been wasting my time actually reading this stuff.
I was reminded of the man who searched for the secret of life - and having found the old Guru asked him - what is the secret?
The Guru answerd - "Life is a flower"
The man swore "You tell me it is only a fflower?"
The Guru said "it ain't?"
Way back when - I asked if anyone would/could explain RN (not registered nurse) as it applied to our little chicken sh-- models.
I got the formula layed out - -OK
fine -- but I had and still have not seen how it applies at very low speeds and sizes.
A couple of honest folk said - they were not sure -understandable as they probably never had to do a graph--for example. of 10 mph on a 5 " chord.
Now I am chastised for suggesting that the profound secrets of flight (don't fly to close to the sun, son), are of such an abstract nature that I could never fathom them.

I never claimed to have the facts - I just asked for a clear explanation of them .
If you can't explain something - just say so - - this isn't a test -