RCU Forums - View Single Post - VQ P-61 CONTRUCTION
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2005, 12:34 AM
Tony Pacini

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: VQ P-61 CONTRUCTION

Walt-

This might sound a little crazy at first but I can assure you that it works very well.

Nearly all of my "twin" experience has been with a grossly overpowered Tigercat that my buddy built for warbird racing. It was rather small (67 inches or so) with a pair of heavily modified YS 1.20 4-strokes running upwards of 75% nitro. It radared at 160 mph in level flight.

There was no such thing as throttle transition with these engines; they loaded up, coughed, sputtered, then finally cleared out and ran like gangbusters, but never transitioned together. We would start one engine, bring it up to temperature, adjust to peak, back off a bit, then shut it down and do the same thing with the other engine. Check plugs, top off fuel, then carry to the line for a heat. During our start/launch window he would start each engine at idle then he and a helper would carry the beast out to the runway for launch. While they were carrying it out I would gradually advance the throttles, timing it so that the engines had cleared out by the time they had set the plane down on the runway. One guy would hold the tail and I'd go to max war setting and wait until the engines came into sync. More often than not they did, I'd nod, and he'd let go. It was off in short order and there wasn't really time to correct or even mess anything up. Count to "one" and rotate!

For a sport set up, needle/adjust as you prefer, have someone hold it on the runway while you run it up, then let it go after they're both at full power. It may seem scary at first, but it's way better than trying to keep it going straight down the runway as each engine transitions at a different rate. It'll be over before you know it. If an engine sags after release (very unlikely for a YS) simply chop the throttle and ride it out on the ground. When things go poorly in 2 dimensions they seldom get any better by adding the 3rd.

Airspeed over the surfaces (and quickly) is your best bet.

After you're comfortable with the airplane and the engines then a scale-like take-off (gradually advancing the throttle) will be easily accomplished. I wouldn't even think of it for a maiden, though.

Good luck!

Tony[img][/img][img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45923.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	329957