RCU Forums - View Single Post - cleaning tips?
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2005, 07:55 AM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: cleaning tips?

I would recommend discretion with the air compressor around the pull start. I blew out a bunch of dust in the fan housing once and beleive I got dirt in the air gap between the flywheel and ignition module.

The car started eventually but took a lot of pulls.

One other person on the forum suggested taking off the electronics tray and using 'Simple Green' or other degreaser in a squirt bottle and then hosing off the car. Sounded like an interesting idea but getting the steering servo reattached on my car was a bit of pain. I would also be very careful where the cleaner and water go to avoid sensitive engine areas (i.e. avoid starter area).

I have not found any easy way to detail my Firehammer without a lot of poking around with paper towels with a small screwdriver.

Beware of what look like clay deposits on your bottom shock caps. I found out that it's leaking shock oil mixed with dirt. If you haven't checked your shock action in a while, you might want to pull them off the car and do a simple compression. If the shock does not provide some resistance, it has lost too much oil.

Ken