RCU Forums - View Single Post - C-124 Globemaster
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2002, 08:28 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default C-124 Globemaster

Crash:

Of course it was the 135. But I couldn't pull it out of the dank and dusty recesses of my mind.

How did you like the '52? I never went through transition to it, but the bootleg time I got surprised me very much. At first touch it was a slow reacting, almost unmanageable monster. But as you built time you found yourself first liking, then loving it. But it was still a slow reacting, almost unmanageable monster. You learned to think not seconds, but minutes ahead. And it became a sweet bird. Bummed rides out of Thailand to get the time.

When I came back to the ZI my main job, at Sheppard, was driving pencil-pushers around in a B-57. This was how they logged their mandatory hours. Mostly they'd sleep, leaving the work to me. This was an unofficial main job, of course. Also assisted running the base hobby shop as a colateral duty. My "Real" job was third or fifth assistant to the deputy to the base relief postal officer. In extremely busy times the assigned duty took about 5 minutes per week. The base commander wanted me to fly. I did build a lot of hours, though.

Twin jets? That's the best, you bets!

Bill.