RCU Forums - View Single Post - Saito twin on gas with ignition???
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2005, 04:28 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Saito twin on gas with ignition???

It'll work fine--as long as you still mix 18% oil---or thereabouts--in the fuel.

All pointless if you ask me.

To me--the whole pojnt of a gas engine is that the fuel is cheaper than glow fuel. The reason why glow fuel is sooooo expensive is because it's got 18%--20% oil in it. You ever bought a quart of Klotz and mixed your own fuel? The oil is what costs ya the big $$$. Not the nitro or the methanol.

So---you switch a big 'ole Saito to gasoliine and spark ignition--big deal. It won't last 3 minutes on a 40:1 mix.

The rod bushings are NOT bearings like you'll find in 99% of gas engines. They are BUSHINGS and require that much oil to lube them properly. Knock the oil down to 40:1--and you'll spin the rod bushings right out of it in less than 3 minutes---probably a LOT less than 3 minutes.

Stay away from it. You'll not save any money trying to convert a glow engine to gas because your still gonna have to pay for the oil in the fuel. It'll still leave a slimy mess all over your plane--if you run enough oil in it to keep the rod bushings intact.