RCU Forums - View Single Post - Dues Increase commentary
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2005, 07:24 AM
Sharpy01
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dues Increase commentary

The following was posted on RCC by Director Blaquiere and it does a good job of laying it on the line when talking about the dues increase. I liked Jean from day one on the board. No political correct BS when dealing with issues. Unfortunately, after he posted this, a few clowns went on the usual "deflect and attack" discussion spin and it's degenerated into a personal attack, once again, on our office staff.

------------------------

Greetings all,

It's very difficult to be brief on such a hot and wide issue...but I'll try. No one likes to pay for something that we cannot hold in our hands and use for our enjoyment. It is always better to use the cash to buy things that we can fly. So, I'll try to take things one step at a time and attempt to explain and justify payments and responsibilities being there.

Firstly, flying radio controlled airplanes is not one of those casual activities that we can enjoy like playing with a toy. R/C planes are not toys; they are real planes reduced in size and are just as capable of causing damage, and even worse, kill. Therefore, regulations are needed...and insurance just like driving or riding vehicles.

Secondly, anything that flies from 6 inches to unlimited abvove ground is under the control of Transport Canada whether we like it or not. This TC responsibility was emphasized by the government sight after the famous 9 / 11 event. However, TC was not equipped nor manned to regulate and control R/C. So, they turned to MAAC and invited us to participate in the TC program by accepting to be part of the quasi-government process responsible for ALL model aircraft flight. MAAC agreed and the process is now ongoing for MAAC to be recognized in the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CAR) as the official canadian agency governing model flight. This is a very good thing because we know what modelling is all about. Had we refused, TC would then have lumped us with some other sport flying groups such as gliders or ultra-lights and we would then have been subjected to some if not many of their rules. That could have been disastrous for modelling as we now know it.

So, you know that our most enjoyed activity is subject to a higher authority and we have no choice. But you also now know that we enjoy the leasure of still governing ourselves provided we do it within basic parameters such as safety, respects of certain rules, and covered by insurance.

WOW! I did use that ugly word "insurance". Well, insurance is usually not the issue; it's the premiums that seem to be the most annoying torn.

Let me simply state that MAAC is not only insurance or the magazine. It's also safety standards that reduces the risk factor and protects us from hunting others and being hurt ourselves. It's also the national association that represents all of us with Communications Canada to protect ALL our frequencies. Do you realize that we enjoy the use of 50 channels...but really, we could also do well with half of that and still have fun. Some years ago we only had ten. Had we not stood up being vocal, we would most likely have lost a number of them to other commercial and industrial uses. Frequencies to fly with are an essential tool of our hobby and we need to protect them for future generations.

MAAC representation with Transport Canada is another essential service that needs to be there for members to enjoy the hobby. Cooperation with our neighbor association and internationnally through the Aero Club of Canada and the FAI is again mandatory so that our hobby can be fully exercised al all levels of competition and representation. You locally up through Canada internationnally is the full extent of what our hobby is.

But, what does that have to do with me flying my plane at the end of my dad's farm? I'm not bothering anyone and I don't need insurance. So, I don't need MAAC. Right?

WRONG.

The frequencies you use are legal and exclusively dedicated to our use. The airspace you fly in is available because TC allows it. The rules of safety are there to protect and inform you the risks can be minimized by obeying them and flying consistant with them. Like fishermen and golfers who like to boast about their beauty and skills, pilots also love to do this at times. Flying alone is seldom rewarding...clubs and flying sites are a better place for such.

Flying R/C is in some way like driving a car. Nothing will happen and if something happens, it will generally happen to someone else. It's tru that people can go through life without a single mishap. But, mishaps do happen to some people sometimes..and the next time could be you.

So, what will happen if the misfortune hits you right where it hurts? Let's say your plane jams by a glitch or an interference of an battery failure or even a fly-away. That likke bird now goes on its own until it runs out of fuel or the wether brings it down somewhere..AND NOT UNDER YOUR CONTROL. It hits something or someone causing substantial damage which results in a claim or even worse a lawsuit. High priced lawsuits are common these days and $4,000,000. would not be impossible. What would you do with your home owners insurance if the max. coverage purchased something like $1,000,000. You would be hard pressed to get out of that one unless you could afford a very expensive lawyer etc. You could be facing financial ruin and disaster for yuo family and others. All that just to save a $1.50 per week. This is ridiculous and most unwise.

Why not check with you homeowners insurance agent and determine what you coverage actually is. You may be very surprised to find out that what you assumed was not really there. 9/11 has changed a lot of things and the insurance domain is no exception. Insurance coverage for midelling (R/C) is no longer easy to come by. By the way, if anyone knows a company that would be willing to provide us with comparable coverage at a reduced premium, please come forward and provide us with the information. And, don't forget to verify with your Homeowners 'ins...you may have a very unpleasant surprise. You may well not be covered at all.

Oh yea... planes do crash and we have flyaways. Ontarion had a flyaway several years ago and the trainer type plane was recovered several later acfross the Canada-US border. It had crossed lake Ontario and flew 28 miles before coming to rest in a farmer's field having run out of fuel. England had a flyaway only a few years ago and the trainer flew 8 miles into a park sttriking an 11 year old girl on the head killing her instantly.

Accidentssafety should be the concern of ALL who fly models because a mishap will certainly touch public opinions and may even force local authorities to legislate against model flying. Many cities that I know already have those by-laws and everyone bears the crunch of. From first hand knowledge, all are due to individuals fly alone without respect for what or who is around them and are often times derelicks and self serving egocentrists. Be very considerate of public opinion and legal authorities because their reactions affect all of us everywhere.

MAAC's dues are going up because:

The leadership failed to recognize the need for minimum increases over a period of more than years.

The insurance premiums for general membership coverage has increased from $32,000. three years ago to a bit over $126,000. for the current year.

The World Scale Event held in Tilsonburg On causedloaaes of revenues and funds of close to $72,000.

Office maintenance, supplies, and equipment and employee salaries and benefits expenses have also incresed...as we all know.

Zone directors promotion and expenses budget has droped below the poverty level.

There is a need to set up a legal funds because we are occasionnally threatened with lawsuits or subject to ridiculous demands that cost money to research and produce documents that do not serve their useful purpose.

We were well below the US AMA fee and even now if we compare insurance coverage.

Money is need for special projects. Wouldn't it be nice if we had a fund available for colateral to help clubs buy their flying fields. Wouldn't it be nice if we had space available for a Museum where we could present our history and safely display our artefacts.

We need to invest in promotion so that we can draft within our ranks all those 15,000 fliers who presently fly without MAAC.

MAAC is certainly not an ugly thing hanging over our head continuously pinching our wallets. It is not to be viewed and such a negative cumbersome watchdog. MAAC is our collective corporate body to represent us and also as a helpmeet to overcome some problems and solve issues.

It is important that we all make it work...otherwise we may end up destroying it just for the sake of an opinion.

LET'S MAKE IT WORK...start by attending your zone meeting. Then, invite your zone director to your meeting ang give him 10 minutes to explain MAAC. Understanding the need for MAAC will make you proud of its presence.

Jean Blaquiere