RCU Forums - View Single Post - mold making
Thread: mold making
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2005, 09:52 AM
Darrinc
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: mold making

If you want to make carbon and fiberglass canopies, you will have to layup a mold from the outside of your canopy. You will need to have the canopy stiff in order to do this, so I would layup your inside mold for making lexan canopies, then leave this mold in the canopy for when you make your outter mold. Actually, I would make your outter mold before you remove the inner mold for the first time, that way the canopy is down tight on the inner mold. otherwise tou will have to 3M 77 the canopy on to the inner mold.

Use the same procedures as I listed above for inner and outter molds.

The epoxy/cabosil is the same thing as using a face coat, which is just a tough, hard surface that helps you when making your parts later.

Make sure you practice this on other canopies before you start on your irreplacible one. There will be lots of little things that there is not enough space here for me to write out that you will run into, so do not even get near your important canopy until you have made successful fiberglass and lexan canopies from your test canopies!

Remmeber, composite work is at least 90% prep work and 10% layup. The prep work is everything!