RCU Forums - View Single Post - 4 Star 60 Pushrod Conversion...
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2005, 08:12 AM
Sukhoi_Madness

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 Star 60 Pushrod Conversion...

This is a “How To” on changing over the 4 Star 60 braded throttle cable system to a solid push rod system.

This is my first build and so I am not an expert and the following example has not been handed down from God on a stone tablet… But it worked!!! And so I thought I would share it… Being that 4 Star 60's are very popular on this board...

For those who don’t know the 4 Star 60 has a “Snake” system for the throttle pushrod. This consists of a thin braded wire cable running through a plastic tube from the throttle servo to the carb of the engine.

When I saw this system for the first time I thought it looked dodgy… And I now hate it!!! It is very fiddly to install and a general pain in the bum!!! Although I know a lot of builders have used it with great success and some use the system exclusively.

The main reason why my Snake was not going to work was that I cut the plastic tube it runs through off at the fire wall, meaning that the braded cable had to run about 4 inches to the carb outside of the plastic tube causing the cable to flex and the connection between Servo and Carb to become sloppy and indirect. I realize at this point that it is my fault the system failed but I had only done what the plan pictured. To bad the plan was for a 4 stroke engine which has the carb against the fire wall. I put this down to inexperience after saying a lot of swear words…

To complicate things further I want to fly this Airplane in two days and my LHS is not open until next Monday so all I had to work with was what came with the 4 Star and the hardware pack that came with my GP RV-4 which I am building too.

Also… I have a 16 once fuel tank in the Airplane which cannot be removed. (I know I know) and the Engine mount, Engine, and Manifold are already Bolted, Double Bolted and lock tightened down which would be a 2-3 hour job to undo and redo and so this bash had to happen around all of those things…

For those that don’t know the 4 Star 60 has a snake because of where the fuel tank is in relation to everything else. It would be near impossible to route anything but the braded cable through the original whole in the fire wall to the servo. Even a Golden Rob would fail.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90943.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	338901   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27315.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	338902