RCU Forums - View Single Post - Great Planes Combat Corsair and Mustang
Old 10-19-2005, 04:47 AM
dkreitz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Combat Corsair and Mustang

My Mustang flies very solid at full throttle. The engine will run for ~5 minutes at full throttle on a 4 oz tank of 15%. Very small control deflection setup is highly recommended. I have not encountered any stress fractures but, since making the video, I have nosed it in a couple of times and had to make repairs. The first repairs were made after nosing in at launch. The OS32SX was turning about 18,500 with an APC 8 x 7, but it just didn't have enough static thrust for hand launching. After replacing the cracked engine mounts with the next larger size, I replaced the prop with an APC 9 x 7. It lost a few rpms but it pulled much better and the hand launches became less tense. Now, I have encountered some control surface flutter problems and the plane is back in the shop for upgrades. I plan to skin hinge the control surfaces and use gap seal tape on the opposite sides. I also plan to add ~1/4" wide carbon ribbon, along the spar, on the bottom of the wing. The metal wire control rods will be replaced with carbon rods (ailerons, elevator and rudder).

Dave