RCU Forums - View Single Post - MAAC zone Re-org?
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2005, 09:42 PM
DSLarkin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MAAC zone Re-org?

It's difficult to make any changes in the zones, for the reasons already outlined. Certainly no ZD wants to have to look after a larger area. An attempt was made to split the huge SE Zone but that would only give apoplexy to any Western ZD who is usually convinced that anyone from Ontario only lives and breathes to steal his (Western ) birthright. Better zone governance can be achieved by appointing the AZDs to represent regions within a zone. Many zones do this, but it isn't provided for in our By Laws and constitution. At least not yet.

Regarding the President' meeting - I think this started in our zone when Richard decided it was a good idea to get the club presidents together to review the agenda for the MAAC AGM and to get guidance from the grassroots. It's a great idea, but it would be hard to do, say, in BC.

The club secretary should still have the MAAC registration package and it's hard to see how a club president wouldn't know about this.

Most ZDs try to visit all clubs and/or where possible attend their events. I used to try and hit each one over a two year period. Quite often I was invited to club meetings. I also eventually got to sending out a zone newsletter, about once every six weeks. But you have to be careful who you send it to - some club presidents or secretaries just file communications and never pass anything on. In that case you have to send communications to a couple of club officials in the hope that they will keep each other honest. AZDs can help. Interested members can always ask to be included on the ZD's mailing or e-mail list. If a club isn't hearing from their ZD and they don't see him visiting them, then get in touch and invite him. If that doesn't work, get busy and vote someone else in.

If you aren't happy with your ZD then your first question is "Did I attend the Zone Meeting?" MAAC doesn't appoint the ZDs, it is the zone members. If they don't attend their AZM, they have only themselves to blame for the quality of thrir representation in MAAC. Most AZMs get minimal attendance and meet their quorum only with proxies. That isn't inevitable. For some years now in our zone we have been able to have twice the required members attend the AZM, without starting to count the proxies. We've even had people turn up from adjoining zones and from the USA! Not that we could count them.