RCU Forums - View Single Post - GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair
Old 10-23-2005, 08:54 AM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Dion, I just found your thread on making the TF cockpit. Where were you when I got my junky one??? I think I can get it similar to yours with some effort. All those pics on the thread were fantastic. It's surprising how far off the 1/5 cockpit is. There's a lot of things that could easily have been molded right into the original, like all the rivets on the back panel, much of the side panel dials and things. I only hope my airbrush skills can get up to speed to do the shading as well as you did there. Excellent work.

I could use one of those little airtanks and the top dash panel with the armament switches if you have any!! Seems like some plastic tubing and some other odds and ends can make up the gun sight, but if you've got one of those handy, let me know. I'm in. I've got some copper wire for the hydraulic lines and have covered some of the pieces in Flitemetal so that they can be better weathered when painted. Thanks for your help.

I've got the Dynamic Balsa cockpit rails to install in the fuse sides. But I'm wondering how best to set up the angles. Seems like the scale orientation was to angle the rails at approximately the same angle as the top of the fuse. This being so, then the rails on the inside of the cockpit will have to pivot slightly as the rear of the canopy drops. So, I'm wondering if using the DBalsa rails with the I beam slides can be done on the front rails inside the cockpit. If the flex is too great, the canopy will distort. Should I just use the slotted rails and use a small flat head screw to slide through the front rails in the cockpit area instead of the I beam mounted on the bottom of the interior canopy framing. Is it an issue? Or how best to do this job?