RCU Forums - View Single Post - electric $$$ vs. glow $$$
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2005, 10:11 PM
RCXPLANES
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: electric $$$ vs. glow $$$

ORIGINAL: smokingwreckage

Kudos to RCX for not only developing cutting edge foamie technology, but also for bringing the price down quite a bit. Don't worry one bit about the price increase because of graphics. I have a vinyl cutter for doing stencils for screen printing, and I wouldn't even turn it on for a $10 job.

smokingwreckage
Thanks for the compliments and pointing out the package value. All of these kits are made right here in the USA so price competition against the big guys is difficult for us. We have decided rather than flood the market with flashy boxes containing questionable quality Chinese made kits with little or no hardware and junk $2.00 brushed motors for $19.95 that we would develop kits with everything you need to complete a very high quality and ridged airframe then couple that with a package deal containing the equipment our testing has proven to fly the plane as it was designed. Basically a kit that I personally would want to buy at whatever the price was.

However, I'm not skilled enough for that indoor 3D stuff. I'm still keeping 3D practice at least 3 mistakes high.

These planes increase your 3D skills very fast by being designed to fly more like a plane than a foamy if you move the CG forward.

Questions about the RCXPlanes. How do they fly compared to the Mini Super Sportster EP with Himax HG20254266, Phoenix ESC, and a 1800mAh 3S lipo pack?

I can't comment on flight comparason to your questioned package as I have never flown one. Although I have customers who have used them, the 20254266 is way too much motor for the plane and requires too heavy of a battery. We used to run the HG20154166 and PHX 10 ESC for light weight or the HG20155466 and PHX 25 ESC for silly power. Both with the 6.6 : 1 gear and the GWS 12x6 slow fly prop. We have goten away from the GB setup in favor of the outrunner but stick mount planes are available on a special order basis. If you go to the RCXPLANES web site and have a look at the video titled "YAK 54, A Change of Pace" you can get an idea of the precision flight that is available with the forward CG and see that the plane breaks into some advanced 3D flight at the very end without changing the CG. http://www.rcxplanes.com/Videos.htm

Which model would be the best choice for practicing patterns on calm mornings or in the gym, with 3D planned for the future when (if?) my thumbs are able?

The YAK 54 is our most precise model to date according to Mike Hill, a two time national patern champion. Mike flies for us in indoor competitions and has had a big hand in the design of the Illusion and completely designed all of the flight and control surfaces of the upcoming Allure model.

Are HS81MGs and a Micro 555 receiver sufficient? How about the Himax motor, Phoenix ESC, and 1800 mAh 3S li-po? I already have these components. Are there better choices in equipment?

Again I haven't used the equipment you are asking about so it is hard to comment on them. For any of the 6mm RCXPLANES the equipment list that makes it work great is
Hacker A20-22L and X20ESC, 2nd choice is the AXI 2212/26 with a PHX 25 ESC.
APC 11x4.7 slow fly prop and I have just tested the GWS 11x7 HD prop with very promising results
Thunder Power 1320 3s1p, Gen 2 or Prolite battery
4= HiTec HS55 servos
GWS micro 6 channel RX for some mixing or 4 channel RX with an aileron "Y" connector

How complete are the airframe kits? Do I need to plan the budget for pushrods, horns, hinges, etc., or is all that included?

All carbon spar tubing, pushrods, horns, ez links, ez connectors, hinges and everything needed to complete a flyable airframe with the exception of adhesives is included in the basic kits. Graphics and Landing gear are options.

Anything else I need to know before buying my first electric 3D plane?

Although it doesn't sound like you would, don't compromise the plane by using heavy or mismatched components. Follow recomendations of whichever manufacture you choose as we have done a lot of research for our recomendations. Excercise a little paitence when building and you will be rewarded with a great flying experience with EP. If I can answer any questions you have I will. If I can't I will say so and try to find the answer for you. Call me anytime, the number is on the bottom of my home page.

Good Luck and have fun.

Bud