RCU Forums - View Single Post - Excelleron 90 build in progress
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2005, 07:12 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Excelleron 90 build in progress

Hi folks.

Well, I am about half way through the build process of my Excelleron 90. I chose the Evolution 100 engine. The engine is brand new, but I have put two tanks through it on the bench. It ran just fine upright and has lots of power. I used a 14-6 prop that turned just fine. Hope that was a good choice for power.. although I do have a used OS 91 sitting there as a backup.

A couple of questions for you all. First, any of you have any experience running the Evolution 100 with the inverted mounting? One friend, who has built a Quest II has that engine and is having a hell of a time getting it to start, then a hell of a time keeping it running once he gets it started.

Any suggestions before I get to that point? (tank position, fuel lines, or any info on the engine or suggestions to get it running correctly).

I am going to mount the horizontal stab tonite. I have the wing finished, it has the servo's mounted and connected to the ailerons. I also do have the engine in the fuselage, but it is a temporary installation as of this point and can be either removed in favor of the other engine or left as is, with minor positioning adjustments to account for the spinner flywheel and so on.

I am using Sullivan kevlar line for the pull pull system. As you probably know, it has pull pull for both the rudder and the elevator. This is my first pull-pull system of any kind so I am interested in any information you guys with all the experience can give me regarding the installation. The Excelleron has tubes already built in the fuselage for both apps (rudder and elevator) so it is only a matter of threading the line through these tubes then making the connections on both ends. The way it looks is all of the adjustment is done at the rear of the aircraft using those eye bolts that mount to the clevis's.

I've seen those round spool looking gadgets that go on top of the servo's. Are those the norm or can I stick with the standard type servo arms? I bought Dubro heavy duty servo arms, am using Airtronics 94731Z Servo Contest Air/Heli BB Z servo's for all but the throttle, by the way. My radio is an Airtronics RD8000.

I had seen aircraft in one of the forums that have the throttle servo in the engine compartment. I do have a heavy duty micro that I could put in there, but had problems with one of them in my Venus 40 and am reluctant to use one again. I am running 6 volt 5 cell NiCad RX system in both aircraft and am not sure if that harmed the micro servo or not. But nevertheless, I am seeking advice concerning the servo in the engine compartment vs. in the default servo tray.

Lastly, are there any common trim issues before I fly it? Amount of throw, initial position of the control surfaces, and so on?

Ok.. words of wisdom? Help? Advice? Cursing ?

DS.