RCU Forums - View Single Post - GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair
Old 10-28-2005, 11:52 AM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Not going to get too detailed on the doors as the tailwheel hook seems like a little too much work, so I just cut the doors a little longer than was necessary rather than run them all the way back. Got a nice curve to match well with the fuse on the doors, using 4 layers of heavy cloth and Smith systems finishing epoxy, then shaping with a coat of Evercoat. I left the front open for now.

I wanted to have access to the tail wheel mount screws without the doors interfering with my access in any way, so I'll mount a thin piece of plastic over the hole to cover it. Should fair in pretty well and get everything closed up on the bottom.

Now to hinge the doors and put the tailwheel in. I got this really nice retractable tailwheel on ebay for a great price and mount dimensions are same as the 160WC. It has a beefier air cylinder on it and is a bit heavier duty than the Robart one. Problem is the cylinder is TOO LONG [][]. I would either have to make a hole for it in the forward former, or just get the 160 and have it drop in. I can't really get access to the former to make a clean interior cut[X(], so now it looks like the 160WC!! Great another hundred bucks.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88160.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	345316   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49603.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	345317