RCU Forums - View Single Post - Gas or Electric?
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2002, 08:16 AM
$ircra$halot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas or Electric?

Hey Papa: We meet again. I disagree that glow is cheaper or easier then elec. Like I mentioned in another post to you, glow fuel cost between $15 to $20 per gallon. Yes a battery will cost close to twice that, if not a little more, but it will out last 20 gal. of fuel. So if you buy 2 battery packs, you will have at most $70 to $80 invested. Fly with one while the other charges. Buy one at a time. You will have to buy a speed control, $20+. you may want to invest in a field charger about $30 to $100. You are going to have to buy a charger for either type of plane. You would be wise to invest in a battery cycler $70 to $150. Nicad batteries need to be discharged once in a while, or they develop a memory. Before you know it you will have charged your batts. for 12 to 16 hours, and they won't last a minute. A cycler will tell you exactly what kind of shape your batts are in, and make them last longer. If you run out of batt. while flying glow, your plane WILL CRASH !!!!! With elec, the motor will stop, but you will still have control over the plane. And if you pull the throttle back for a moment, then advance it again, the motor will run again, giving you a chance to make it back to the field before landing. Now you can buy nickel metal hydrid batts. they are somewhat more expensive but do not develop memory so they claim, I have no experience with them. Glow engines are messy, can be temperamental, and glow plugs cost $5 to $12 each, of coarse if the engine is properly tuned, a glow plug will last years. But so will a speed 400 elec. motor $10 or $12, a bushing, glow motor will run you about $50, and a bushing motor is bottom of the line. A bearing motor, will cost $70+ in the same size but has more power. always glad to help if I can. Garry By the way I like glow, go figure.