RCU Forums - View Single Post - What Do YOU Consider 3D?
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2005, 06:39 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What Do YOU Consider 3D?

Well, in my most humble of opinions the wing is not stalled, as there is no angle of attack. For the wing to be stalled it has to be past it's critical AOA and for the airflow to of separated from the surface. During hover it is at zero AOA therefore how could the airflow of separated from the surface of the wing?
Really has nothing to do with opinions as flight is no longer a theory, it's a fact based on aerodynamics and physics and there are plenty of books and journals about airflow, airfoils and stalls etc. A plane is most certainly in an "airplane stall" when it's in hover. The "air pressure" is detached from the wing and has become more of a thrust vectored vehicle then common airplane vehicle. What keeps a plane out of a stall is pressure above and below the wing, which comes from airflow. However it's needs a certain amount and it's going to be a lot more then what propwash can deliver. The wings become useless for lift, but they remain useful for directional control, much like that of a missle. A missle has no wings, it's control by thrust and small movements of vectoring by the tail fins.

BTW I'm not an "aerodynamic expert", but I have cracked a few books about planes and stuff.