RCU Forums - View Single Post - Lets see your ULTRA SPORTS !!!!!!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2005, 10:05 AM
sdcranford
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lets see your ULTRA SPORTS !!!!!!!!!!!

Well fellow US fliers. My US1000 met its demise yesterday. The engine (ST3000) being waayy to much for this
plane comes in VERY hot on landings because of big prop due to reduced ground clearance. So, this time landing
2nd flight for the day I brought it in, about 20ft off the ground and 40ft from the edge of the runway I decided
to cut the throttle. I reached over and flipped the switch, and must have bumped the right stick because it rolled
right and down. SMACK. Nothing but silence from the spectators, and the club pres goes into the spectator shed
and gets Wal-Mart sacks. Another guy that was training that day helped and we picked it. No pics...I'm very sad
about that. I just got it a week ago. If it had not have been for a tempermental motor that is tooo big for the
plane all would be well.

I keep telling my wife...I can not believe I did that. I keep thinking back to what I did wrong and cursing myself
for doing it.

A moment of silence please. Although I think it is rebuildable it sure is messy. Wings snapped in two, the fuse is
cracked all the way down one side. The ST3000 will never see that plane again. Several of the ribs are broken as
well as a loose firewall. And that neat covering job that guy did. He told me if I wreck it not to tell him about it.

I've got another US1000 kit under the table I am about to send off to get built, I sure loved all 5 flights I got out
of this one...they definatly are the best sport flying airplane every designed!!!