RCU Forums - View Single Post - GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair
Old 10-30-2005, 04:39 PM
onewing
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

We just test flew my recently completed TF GS Corsair yesterday. Everything went well. This airplane was designed to be easy to build and fly, and that is exactly our experience.

The maiden flight was conducted by our club president, who was a A26 Invader pilot during the Korea War. After the maiden flight, I flew the airplane with him coaching me on the side. I also had a perfect landing. After landing. I felt the time and money spent over the last 8 months is well worth it.

It has a 3W75iUS engine with a 24X10 propeller, Robart main gear and tail wheel, operational gear doors controlled by a electronic sequencer, Futaba and Hitec high torque metal gear servos, full cockpit and full-figure pilot. The flaps were constructed per instruction. Glassed and painted. Final weight is 30.5 pounds, including 2.5 pounds of weigt in the nose.

I want this airplane to be my weekend flier. So, I did not spend too much time painting or adding scale features.

As I use a powerful engine, I enforced the structure quite a bit. I also received a lot of information and help on RC Universe during the construction phase of this project, including an article by Chris Spangenberg published on the Spring 2001 issue of High Flight magazine.

It only has 3 flights so far. So, I really can not say too much about its flight characteristics. But based on our experience so far, I can at least say it is easier to land than my TF 60 sized P40. It behaves quite well in the air, no bad habits. I have been flying my TF P40 for two years. So, I am not totally new to heavy wing loading (or wing volume) warbirds.

I would be glad to share my experience with you here.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75527.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	346118   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97824.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	346119   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13564.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	118.2 KB