RCU Forums - View Single Post - Dumas-Tuna boat
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2005, 08:17 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Dumas-Tuna boat

I'm enclosing the photo's of the inner hull for you. It was a trip building the hull, and it was my first planking experience too. Dumas... was almost close, in cutting the wood for the kit, and there was just not enough planking material to do the job. Since we made port in General Santos City to off load our catch, I was able to run down the wood needed. I ran out of 1/64 th. ply, and where do you find this in Papua New Guinea. It was a trip and no pun intended, but I made many port calls over the years. From Christas Island, to Thailand. With the Salomon Islands the best port of call.

You will notice some grey stuff on the inner hull, and this is aircraft structural epoxy. My sanding kind of wore out the wood and felt I needed to make this area rock hard and strong. Having a full shop of aircraft grade adhisives helps when at sea, for there are no hobby shops any where accept Honolulu and Guam. I built this boat at sea while fish spotting in the South Western Pacific.

The drive line came out perfect the first try. But having all the drive gear helped me...I just started with the scale location for the drive shaft and assembled everyting to mate up to it. It works smooth and I took the time to make the rudder stearable with a r/c servo. I was going to mount the rudder survo fwd., but now going to place it aft real close to the rudder contol post. The exit port for the bilge pump is mid hull, port side, above the water line. I've the anchor bow light poll made, all the radar gizmo's (pre made and I found them in Jeddah), and full bow anchor windless assembley made. There is a lot of stuff on a boat...and I had a lot of time on my hands...so why not.

I've a voltage box that can give me smaller amounts of power of different voltages. I may need 12v. but I'm trying to stay at 6v. for everthing.

There are not fresh water ponds any where near where I live...but there is a whole bunch of ocean. So I will have to wait for a dead calm sea, and launch it from shore near my home. It will be a real sea boat...

Safe port always,
Bobby of Maui
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34327.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	346251   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94879.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	346252   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31428.jpg