RCU Forums - View Single Post - Excelleron 90 build in progress
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2005, 07:00 AM
GM1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Excelleron 90 build in progress

I finished installing the cowling last night. It weighs about half as much as when I started since I put HUGE holes in it. I was forced to open the front of the cowl since the cylinder head of the YS 110 was forward of the design location to get the spinner clearance I wanted so I have a Vee notch in front that goes over the motor and back all the way to where I can insert the glow driver with no interference. I opened the back of the cowl where the manual shows slots since I had increased the open front area. I have a 45 degree elbow to the muffler so I had to grind a slot for the muffler to fit into. When I got finished about half the fiberglass was gone but it looks very nice.
The only job left is to check the CG, mount the radio gear permanently, and go over the whole model with an iron to be sure the edges are sealed down. The model built quickly, but it has taken FOREVER doing the little detail work at the end and trying to keep up with the lawn and shrubs and house stuff. Up north, I bet the grass has stopped growing and they have spare time to work on models (yeah, like stuff like that ever happens!) Looking for test flights this weekend or early next week.
Gordie