RCU Forums - View Single Post - Industry to rub out MAAC?
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2005, 12:04 AM
Drexus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Industry to rub out MAAC?

Although it would be nice to have a service oriented MAAC, the resources to offer anything above what it now does is absent. To take it a step further would require more staff hours - or more staff, and thus a greater cost to members.

I seriously doubt $200 is an expected fee for a first timer between club costs and MAAC - unless the club has a paved runway with leather furniture at the line - or at least I would expect so in comparison to what we get at our club.

It's an interesting point to ask the same question from the flip-side. How many pilots are out there with no knowledge of MAAC? Given that there is no law that says you must be a MAAC member to command a model plane through the air, but what would the world be like if half of the drivers on the road didn't have insurance? Yes, insurance is one part of the package, but safety guidelines and operation rules - and they are not only there to keep things safe, but keep things fair and organized. The whole structured of process in showing up at the field and getting yourself ready to fly is much like it is at the airport. The rules are there to cover all potential circumstances in how a pilot will present himself. If someone shows up with an 80 pound jet, then everyone there becomes real glad we have rules to ensure safe operation of the field.

This interesting point of how many people are flying without MAAC makes my point that much more pronounced. If there is no real personal obligation (much less a legal one) to join MAAC, then what is a person to think when he firsts sees a 1/4 scale Extra 540 Electric sitting on the shelf? Will he think "Wow, that's real dangerous looking... better get some insurance..."? Not likely.

I really don't think the hobby is in decline. In fact, I feel it's about to expand. If we all look at the demographics of the hobby, we would see the baby-boomers walking in the front door of the hobby shops. Not everyone retires with a yacht and a new cottage by the lake. If every MAAC member spent as much on models as some spend on golfing or travelling, then there wouldn't be a manufacture out there that could keep stock on a shelf.

True, MAAC does not have control of the hobby. They only offer a controlled structure to their members. I would imagine my story might be a little different if I lived way out in the bush, and the nearest town had a population of .... 28. Then the urge to join MAAC might be a bit radical.

As it stands, people are getting the idea that model planes are friendly, fun loving toys just waiting to perform for the first time pilot. I remember the very first plane I wanted to buy. The mere mention (and I won't) of the plane I wanted - made people spit and cough over their coffee. Honestly, how is anyone to know what they should be doing?

As for the foamies, MAAC can't instigate anything they don't have control over. Not unless it becomes Canadian law. Until that day, it remains voluntary. Imagine... if people didn't have to pay for car insurance... Would the auto insurance industry be in decline? Is MAAC's membership in decline in reference to the "Actual" number of pilots? Don't look at the numbers from year to year, look at the ratio. With more and more "care-free" products of whatever size, I'm afraid the ratio will slip away from MAAC's favour.