RCU Forums - View Single Post - SHRIKE CLUB # 1
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2005, 10:22 PM
FlyerBry
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SHRIKE CLUB # 1

piper_chuck, good idea with the Shrike weights. That would be interesting. Too bad we can't get radar gun readings of the various setups as well...

RC-FEIND, a little throttle management will definitely be in order. I typically research a plane thoroughly before deciding on what I want. The Shrike hasn't been any different. If not going with something in the .15 size range, the .25 FX seems to be the most popular engine. There are also a few who are running the .32SX (and at least one with a pipe!) I also noticed a few comments from people saying they would like to try a .30 size engine. I would guess the power of the .40 LA is closer to the .25FX than the .32SX and the weight is virtually the same as the .32SX. I could see some torque problems if I tried to run an 11 inch prop or something along those lines but that's not what I have in mind. I think a smaller diameter, higher pitch prop is really more appropriate for the airframe. I'm thinking more in the neighborhood of a 9x8. The .40 LAs I have seen and the one I ran myself in the past were all pretty smooth running so I don't think it is going to torque the firewall off. I just don't see it as being that much of an issue. I could be wrong - guess the proof will be in the flying. As far as how many Gs the thing will handle, I already mentioned that I don't plan to build the plane stock. Strengthening will be required as many have already alluded to.

FlyerBry