RCU Forums - View Single Post - Club Members insist on flying solo...
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2005, 11:47 PM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Club Members insist on flying solo...

I like mirwins take on it and like his opinion. Now not knowing how good of a flyer you are. Remember pattern planes are expensive. I fly pattern myself and where i normally fly it is a slow field. so i normally fly by myself. Now when other people are there depending on who is there i either land or continue flying. That depending thing is how much do i know that person? Is he someone that flies in a controlled manner or someone who is all over the sky. I cannot risk a midair just because i want to get one or two extra flights in. And by all over the sky i don't mean a aerobatic type flight.just someone who i will never be able to tell where he will be. Now did any of these pattern guys ever see you fly? Or did they just get a little aloof with you? Most of the pattern flyers i know tend to seem a little aloof when you first meet them. it comes from weighing pop bottles and realizing they can save an ounce and a half by using a pop bottle instead of a fuel tank. Don't laugh it's true. I would get to know them as most pattern flyers i know of are knowledgable about flying. And once you get to know them you should'nt have any problems flying with them. I know i've put my pattern plane aside more than once this year to help new flyers with there first takeoffs and landings. Along with maiden flights on quite a few different planes. I travel to six or so different fields a year for pattern contests. and if it is the day before a pattern contest at that field. Most of the people there will be practicing for the event. so normal flying time does'nt happen much. most of the time if the local flyer is flying we try and get him to join the contest the next day or at least come out to watch. almost none do. but some of the local flyers i've seen would do pretty well in sportsman.
Wow did this reply get long. Hope this explains some
Dennis