RCU Forums - View Single Post - 30cc Gas = ???? 4 stroke OR 2 stroke ????
Old 11-24-2005, 11:00 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 30cc Gas = ???? 4 stroke OR 2 stroke ????

Hi,

Yeah, my Homelite is pretty pumped up. It all depends on what you do to them, and I've never run one stock. I always put a larger carb, opened exhaust, leave out the base gasket for more compression and add CH electronic ignition with optimized timing at the very least. Usually I do all the porting, crankcase stuffing etc. as well. I guess a relatively stock motor would be about the equivalent of a 120 two stroke glow....

Yes, I got mine down below 3 lbs. ready to fly, by trimming the crankcase as much as possible, losing the magneto, and using studs to mount the engine instead of the usual back plate mount most people use. I also think my mufflers made of a gutted stocker with two large thinwall brass tubes brazed in for outlets are lighter than the aluminum ones you buy. (about 5 oz.)

Side note: As for other engines, those glass filled rail type motor mounts weigh more than you think. I recently built a GSP Katana with a Kioritz/Echo engine. I made mounts of 1/8" thick aluminum angle. When done, I thought "those mounts look pretty heavy!". So I weighed them and was surprised to find that my aluminum angle mounts weighed 2 oz. less than the stock rail mounts! (That airplane ended up balancing perfectly with no added ballast.)

AV8TOR
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62183.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	359656