RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ultimate .46 from Raidentech -- help?
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2005, 03:51 PM
desmobob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Ultimate .46 from Raidentech -- help?

I finished the little Ultimate today. With a Super Tigre .40, ProSpin 2 1/2" spinner, HiTec 225 mini-servo on the ailerons and Futaba 3004s on everything else, it came in at four pounds six ounces. Unfortunately, it was quite nose-heavy. I took off the nice polished aluminum ProSpin spinner (heavy) and put on a light plastic one (left-over from a World Models ARF). I moved the 600 mah battery to the rear of the radio compartment and added some self-adhesive lead to the tail under the stab.

The very similar World Models Ultimate ARF comes with the center cabane struts already mounted. My kit did not have them mounted. But after I carefully mounted them, I found there were tiny pilot holes burned in the laser-cut fuse side doublers! If I had only known, it would have saved me a lot of time! It wasn't mentioned in the instructions....

After completing this model, I'm wondering what the connection is between this no-brand kit and a World Models kit. Maybe they are "seconds" or something like that? Or kits taken off the line when new employees are training/working? As I mentioned earlier, the instruction manual had "World Models" in it in a few places. But the instructions were a very incomplete poor photo copy.

There is a chance I'll get to fly it sometime before Spring. It all depends on the weather and how it matches up with my days off.

Over all, I'd recommend this kit to a skilled modeler who can work without a proper instruction manual, set wing incidences, etc.. For $120, it appears to be a steal. For someone less interested in fiddling around, the World Models Ultimate is also a real deal at $150. I may pick one up in the future to see just how it compares to my generic Ultimate.

Good flying,
desmobob