RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ultimate .46 from Raidentech -- help?
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2005, 06:08 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Ultimate .46 from Raidentech -- help?

Hey, a question about the Raidentech Ultimate.....

Did they supply shortened horns for the connections between ailerons? The ones that came in the World Models boxes looked like your everyday aileron/rudder/elevator medium horn with the tops cut off to leave the bottom 3 holes. And you screw one to the top aileron sticking down, and one to the bottom aileron sticking up. If they did, then they did the same thing to you that World Models did to their customers.

The connect points for the two ailerons ought to be where a line drawn from the aileron hinge to the connect point is perpendicular to the connecting rod. And that same holds true for both top and bottom wing connect points. If you use a "tall" horn on the lower wing pointing up, and a "tall" horn on the top wing pointing down, the two surfaces will not move equally. They can't. One is going to move more than the other and it won't be the same one when moved up as when moved down.

I don't know who makes them, but I saw some "biplane aileron connection horns" in one of the local hobby shops today. I think they were $5.85 or somesuch. Their design places the connect point directly out from the TE of each aileron. hmmmm... It seemed like a lot of money for them puppies, and I think what made me laugh out loud was that there were only two in a package. Since I'd made my own just last night (and out of $2.00 worth of everyday hardware for all 4 horns) maybe that was why I laughed out loud... don't remember now.....

Since getting back into the hobby after a long layoff, almost no day passes by that I've not run into one of these silly deals. It really looks to me like these ARF producing Asians don't actually field test their production products. My Sukhoi had a couple of really braindead deals and the Ultimate has at least this one... but then I've only got it about half done.

Oh well, they surely are pretty and seem to be bringing lots of people into the hobby that wouldn't have come otherwise.