RCU Forums - View Single Post - 4*120 Build Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2005, 08:15 PM
Ryobi Coyote

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 4*120 Build Thread

Hi Rcpilet,

You raise many questions in your posts and I may be able to provide some additional input.

1. In my experience, the long-shaft Ryobis can be made shorter than the short-shaft versions. Sounds crazy, but it's true.
2. Don't be afraid to remove the integral flywheel shroud; I do it all the time. After awhile you can even get a little "artistic" and do a real neat job! I use a hacksaw first, then finish up with a die grinder equiped with a carbide burr meant just for cutting aluminum. No filing, no emery cloth. Takes me less than a hour; really comes out sharp! Looks like a CNC job! I use the die grinder, because I do alot of conversions. BTW, this is NOT a Dremel Mototool! Of course, many of the fellows use files, etc., and that's OK. Also, I've heard of fellows using a two-piece crankcase with a new jug, so they wouldn't have to grind off the shroud.
3. There are several threads on RCU that relate the successful conversion of the SIG 4S120 to Ryobi 31cc. The only caveat I would raise is to run some ground tests and then some test flights, before you apply full power in the air. You've done a spectacular job with the anti-torsion wing bracing; make certain the tail is also well braced against torsion and vibration effects.
4. Even though I bought a Dodge Aircraft Carrier (aka Caravan), I make most wings "two-piece." Surfboards are cool in CA, but not here in PA! There's an easy technique to do this that has been covered in the model airplane literature. Works every time. It is more work than grinding off a flywheel shroud, but you won't have a surfboard to transport.
5. There's another plane available that was designed especially for the Ryobi 31cc. See my thread: "Got Gas Sport for Ryobi 31cc," in the Giant RC Aircraft Forum. My "Sport" is just about ready for covering. I'm still working on how to up-load the photos. Sure would save me alot of keyboarding.

R.C.