RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ultimate .46 from Raidentech -- help?
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2005, 08:04 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Ultimate .46 from Raidentech -- help?

Yeah, "two edged sword" is a good analogy. Some of the errors I've seen in just the last three ARFs I've stuck together would definitely cut somebody's throat. And while on the subject of those errors..........

I'm really interested now in the way the aileron connection system for these .46 size Ultimates is done. I've actually plotted out the connection on paper (because I didn't build it on the a/c) to see just what it'd do to the ailerons and I'm amazed by what that shows.

I really would be very appreciative if someone who has a digital camera and one of these Ultimates that they built with the supplied hardware as suggested would take some pictures of the sucker from behind with the ailerons full up and full down and post the pictures.

It looks to me like the supplied hardware and installation would really screw up the way the ailerons move relative to each other. It really seems that the deflections aren't going to be anywhere close to equal when full up or full down. And it looks like the differential will be one way for full up and the opposite way for full down. It's almost hard to believe they'd setup the a/c like that. I'm talking about a differential between the aileron on the top wing versus the aileron on the bottom wing, not the aileron differential everyone knows about and uses on single wing a/c that's left:right/up:down differential. This layout on this biplane is going to give a differential between the top and bottom on one side AND the other side is going to give something opposite. Amazing....

You know, silly as it sounds, the a/c might actually benefit from such a "bad" rigging design. Maybe the imbalance pumps the drag way up and actually helps the pilot by slowing the a/c or maybe yawing it into the turn or something. And it's got to be not only an imbalance on the yaw axis, but looks like it could also hit the pitch axis as well. But it certainly has to have been blind luck if it's true that the result is favorable to flight performance.... whatever it is that's true..... and photos from directly behind will help show what is actually happening.

Anybody with a stock setup and a digital camera???? willing to help out?

Take the pictures from straight behind the a/c. Take one shot with the ailerons in neutral. Take one shot with them full left. And another shot with them full right. The idea is to see if there is deflection differential and which way(s) it goes.

tia