RCU Forums - View Single Post - Draganfly iv. Anyone flew it?Control?
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2005, 01:50 AM
Sky High

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Draganfly iv. Anyone flew it?Control?

[sm=idea.gif]Smoother & Quieter Rotor Operation

When performing other repairs and maintenance, I noticed that when I spun the rotor head gear with my fingers with the motor removed, the gear bearing did spin freely but didn't stop with a slow, gradual stop as if it was really free spinning without friction. In other words, there was friction, however slight. So, I loosened the allen bolt just a small amount (about 1/8 turn) and spun it again and....... that thing spun like I had given it a laxative! To test them even further, I took a can of compressed air and hit the gear teeth with the air. What a cool noise that made! It sounds like a jet turbine. All four bearings were like this and that means the whole time from the factory all four bearings were not spinning as efficiently as they could have been. The factory setting always worked fine but I think that my helo will fly better now since loosening the rotor gear bolts to where the allen head is barely not touching the bearing race. If you do this, make sure that you loosen it only slightly just enough to notice the difference in the stop time from an abrupt slow stop to a slow, gradual stop. The more gradual the stop, the less friction, the looser the bearing and most importantly, longer bearing life!