RCU Forums - View Single Post - 3D Help Needed!!!
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2005, 07:52 AM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 3D Help Needed!!!

If you are flying upright or inverted at full throttle, then you don't have a 3D plane (not enough motor). If you do, you won't have it for very long (too fast). 3D planes have large control surfaces and flying them at full throttle is very hard on them and can induce flutter... i.e. instant self destruction.

As far as mixing throttle to rudder, chip hyde sets his right thrust at 1/2 degree and he uses a rudder mix for the rest. For me, the jury is still out on this one. I know some guys that like, but I'm not sure if I do or not.

To get the 45° throws with the best mechanical advantage use the biggest servo arm and control horn you need to get the job done.
Read this as: Use a nromal control rod location on the control horn and use the smallest servo arm you can and still get 45 degress of throw. I think it's still generally accepted than anything past 45 degrees is just cauing drag with little, if any, additional control effectiveness. You are also losing servo power and resolution if you go with more. 45 is plenty. If it isn't, then your elevator is too small or your CG is way too far forward.

Big picture, you want to dial up your servo travel to 150% (JR), or 140% (Futaba), or 110% (Multiplex) and, using full stick travel, just get to the 45 degrees that you need... this gives you the most power at the surface and the least likelyhood of flutter (especially if you're flying around a full throttle)